Day 13 - The trip with no name - Wednesday 20 Feb 2013


Today represented the first day of heading west and there is no better way to embrace this than starting at the Memorial Arch of the Great Ocean Road. A history lesson is in order. The road was built by returned soldiers between 1919 and 1932, and is the world's largest war memorial; dedicated to casualties of World War I. Building the GOR was by hand, it was hard work and several men died during its construction. As an aside, many of the water towers across Australia were also built by returned soldiers after World War 1 and that's why so many are now needing to be replaced; their time is due.

Just after taking this photo, I noticed a number of Japanese tourists looking close at the bike. That's strange I thought, surely they have seen a packed up bike before. Later I remembered that Shotgun was packed away, with just his wee little head pocking out of the left side pocket of the seat bag. It did look rather amusing.



I do have some videos, but I'll post them into the video archive when I get to a place where I can upload the helmet camera videos to Youtube and link them across.